Sunday, April 26, 2009

Stonehenge and off to Vienna

It was my last couple days in the UK and I was staying with Jarlath. They gave me a great place to sleep and cooked some awesome food. They also enjoyed playing the train game and stomping me at it. It looks like they play trains often by their knowledge of the routes. A gracious host would have let the guest win at least on game.

The final day in London went well. As I was heading to the airport it started raining for the first time on the whole trip. The weather in Vienna is supposed to be sunny and warm. Booya weather goblins.

Here is a final shot of the backside of the London Eye.

From Weekend in Vienna

The last customer that we met with happened to be near Stonehenge so after the visit we drove some back roads to the rocks. On the way we drove by seemingly ancient old houses. One of them had a 4 foot thick thatched roof that looked amazing. I wish that I would have gotten a picture of it.

I must say that if you are ever in the area then Stonehenge is a visit you must make. There is something amazing about looking at 5500 year old stones that are a big mystery.
From Weekend in Vienna

I left Saturday morning for Vienna so I have the whole weekend to see the town before the customer visit on Monday. It is only about a two hour flight from Heathrow, we barely got off the ground before we were landing again.

I really want to go and see Fritzie's house. The crazy guy who locked up his daughter in the basement. I am sure that I can find someone to take me on a tour.
From Weekend in Vienna

The architecture in Vienna is really nice because in the old town part of downtown all of the buildings are about the same height. It adds a really nice symmetry and flow to the town. On the weekend it looks like they close most of the downtown area off to cars so it is pedestrian only. The streets were packed with people, I was getting a bit claustrophobic at points but I didn't freak out. I am a zen master.
From Weekend in Vienna

MOVENPICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
From Weekend in Vienna

Since the streets were so wide all of the cafes had ample room for sidewalk seating. This cafe that I ate at was inside a butterfly house, literally. Through screens you could see all the butterflies in a sort of rainforest environment. They had hammocks out front that people were not giving up.
From Weekend in Vienna

I found an oddly large number of statues of naked people fighting with animals. Why do they hate animals so much?
From Weekend in Vienna

St. Andrews church had an amazing roof.
From Weekend in Vienna

Here is the hotel that I am staying at. It is in a great location just a short walk to all the action.
From Weekend in Vienna

Here is the full photo album from the first day:

No comments: